Firefox fanboys again

Now I’ll admit I haven’t always given Firefox a good press. But sometimes I think they don’t set themselves up in the nicest way. The religious fervour of Firefox fans goes to the levels of extremism. Yes, maybe you like it. But it’s a web browser. Get a life.

I had mixed feelings, therefore, reading this post by Ed Bott.

Gee, guess who reserved the following domains:

ie7.com

getie7.com

Hint: It wasn’t Microsoft.

I think one of the comments put it best: (UPDATE: I’ve now added the comment which went before that as it then makes sense.)

Fanboyism at it’s [sic] finest. It will be fun to see Microsoft’s legal hounds jump on this and sue them into oblivion.

I suppose Microsoft haven’t exactly been shining examples of good behaviour in the browser wars, but it still annoys me somehow. Maybe I’ve become an IE-fanboy.

6 Comments

1. serena
    Posted April 28, 2006 at 8:40 am | Permalink

FANBOY! Stupidly, the only thing that occured to me throughout that was how odd “fanboy” looked to me, when in the HP fandom it’s always “fangirl”. Heh.

(Still using firefox, but avoiding any flamings.)

2. RAS
    Posted April 28, 2006 at 10:58 am | Permalink

What makes you think either of those sites are anything to do with Mozilla? ie7.com is registered to a company called Digital Dataflow, based in Hove, Sussex, and getie7.com is registered to SynergyCMS in Bristol. There’s nothing to suggest that either company has any connection to the Mozilla Corporation.

3. simple57uk
    Posted April 28, 2006 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

That’s a fair point, and since I knew about it already I should probably have been a little more careful with the way I phrased that post.

The comment makes more sense if I include the one before it, so you get:

“Fanboyism at it’s finest. It will be fun to see Microsoft’s legal hounds jump on this and sue them into oblivion.”

“The best part about this is that if Microsoft was to do this then they would be ripped a new one by the community. Is it me or does the underdog always end up being just as bad as the supposed Golith they are out to slay?”

Better?

4. serena
    Posted April 29, 2006 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

“Fanboyism at it’s finest.”

I spy an errant apostrophe!

5. simple57uk
    Posted April 29, 2006 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

It’s a quote! You lot aren’t half demanding.

6. MT